Crossroads Community Church5 Tips on How to Be Wise With God's Money
5 Tips on How to be Wise With God's Money

Starting in the year 2000 and spanning 11 years, MTV decided it would be a great idea to create a television series that highlights the outrageous living quarters of the entertainment industry's biggest stars. Among the many episodes, which proved people really did want to live vicariously through these celebrities, one highlighted a music producer mogul named Scott Storch.

At one point, Storch was worth 70 million dollars!

Scott Storch featured on an old episode of MTV Cribs showcasing his 1.6 million dollar car. Source: Youtube

As of 5 days ago, he has filed for bankruptcy. Conventional wisdom or anyone with common sense would ask, "How can this be? He had $70M bucks!" The answer is simple. He lacked wisdom.

I can't judge this formerly successful producer's heart, but for Christians, God instructs us and encourages us to be good stewards of the money he has blessed us with. Each year, over a million regular citizens file for bankruptcy. These are people, just like those in the church, with regular jobs, commitments, and responsibilities. Often times life situations can cause a huge swing in a family's ability to make ends meet, but commonly people lack the stewardship God instructs us to have in regards to finances.

So how do we avoid this tumultuous collapse? Pastor Aaron filled us in on 5 simple money tips Solomon outlines in Proverbs:

1. Track It

Proverbs 27:23-24 tells us riches can disappear quickly. Therefore, we must always know the state of our belongings and watch our expenses and dealing very closely.

2. Plan It

Proverbs 21:10 gives us this nugget of advice, "The wise man saves for the future, but the foolish man spends whatever he gets." Solomon shares the importance of looking beyond the now and being prudent in the Lord's blessings.

3. Save It

Pastor Aaron read a statistic that American's only save about 5% of their income.... Where does the other 95% go? Proverbs 13:11 provides some incite, "Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow."

4. Release It

No. This doesn't mean a shopping spree, it means we have to let go of what Proverbs 30 calls our, "love for pleasure and luxury." Society tells us what we want, but we look to God for what we need.

5. Return It

It's easy for us to see our paychecks as something we have earned 100% ourselves and we have the right to do whatever we so please with it. It's easy for us to give God sovereignty over our children, families, Sunday schedules, but the wallet has always been a struggle. Solomon reminds us in Proverbs 3:9 who it really belongs to, "Honor the Lord by giving him the first part of all of your income." As Pastor Aaron visualized through yummy Ritz crackers, God doesn't want the crumbs. He wants our best.


If you have a story about how you followed God's instruction and were a good steward with what he blessed you with, please share in the comments.

Get the full rundown of how we can better honor God with our money by listening to the full sermon Wisdumb:"Wise Up About Money"

 

0 Comments

No comments yet

LEAVE A COMMENT